The Open Cookbook
These gluten-freedouble chocolate tigernut banana muffins are a decadent treat that the whole family will love. It is hard to believe these delicious, nutritious, and fluffy muffins are free from the top 9 food allergens.
What exactly is a tigernut?
Despite what the name suggests, tigernuts are not nuts! Tigernuts are actually a small root vegetable originally cultivated in Africa. Incredibly versatile, they can be easily transformed into tigernut milk or flour. This is done through a process of soaking, grinding, and drying out the tubers. In fact, horchata, a traditional Spanish beverage, is actually made with tigernuts.
Packed with prebiotic fiber as well as magnesium, calcium, iron, and vitamin C, tigernuts can play an important role in a nutrient-dense diet. Perfect for allergy-friendly baking, tigernut flour has a slightly sweet and “nutty” flavor, all without the nuts.
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 cup Tigernut flour
- 1/2 cup Arrowroot powder
- 1/3 cup Vegan cocoa powder or carob powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Banana ripe, roughly 1/2 cup mashed
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Avocado oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Vegan egg (gelatin, chia, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Vegan dark chocolate chips or carob chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with 6-8 muffin liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the tigernut flour, arrowroot powder, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana and combine with the maple syrup, avocado oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix well to fully combine. Fold in the dark chocolate chips (optional).
- Fold the preferred vegan egg into the mixture and add the apple cider vinegar as the last step. Make sure not to overmix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin liners. Top each muffin with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Place the muffin pan into the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Check around 20 minutes, testing with a toothpick.
- Once done, remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes to set.