Food Equality Initiative gathered the voices from our first For The Health webinar to participate in another conversation on Juneteenth. It has been a year since Emily Brown wrote her open letter to the food allergy community, and we are here to discuss what progress has been made and what there is still left to be done in food allergies and healthcare.
Karen Palmer (certified professional coach/operations consultant)
A SUMMARY in 6 words:
Support the community. Trust the leaders.
PROGRESS in 2020 and beyond:
- People are more open to having conversations about race and disparities.
- Conversations are easier to have and access, thanks to digital platforms.
- Heightened sense of disparities along the lines of race.
- Racism is being acknowledged as a public health issue and a public health emergency.
- Organizations are taking action steps to enact sustainable change.
- There are more and more black-owned and black-led businesses.
UPDATES since our last meeting:
- FEI changed its distribution model to be more client centered.
- From a “pantry within a pantry” to an online marketplace where clients can freely shop and have items delivered directly to their door.
- FEI helped publish research papers:
- ThermoFisher published an editorial piece in JACI
- The United States Reckoning with Racism during the COVID-19 pandemic: What can we learn and do as allergist-immunologists? (42:07)
- Alerje got a patent for its flagship auto-injector.
- Elijah Alavi Foundation started the Elijah’s Echo Ambassador Program.
- Elijah’s Law has passed in Illinois and New York and is heading to Pennsylvania next.
- Elijah’s Law extends life saving protections currently in place for schools to all early child care programs.
- What has the last year revealed to you about the nature of allyship where race and food allergy are concerned?
- What can the medical field do to reduce and eliminate disparities in outcomes of food allergy for black and brown folks?
- What does the medical field need from allies in order to make these steps happen?
- What role can allies play to make legislation on food allergies real?
- What has to happen to combat compassion fatigue?