Adapted from Seriouseats.com
Kale and Cannellini Bean Pasta
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Diced onion
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 pounds Kale chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup Canned tomatoes chopped
- 3/4 cup Vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 cup Canned white cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound Pasta
- Parmesan cheese optional
- Cook the pasta as directed on the box.
- The first step for the sauce is to saute the onions and the peppers in some olive oil. After 4-5 minutes, add in the garlic. Then, add in the can of diced tomatoes, the drained beans, the broth (or water) and the kale.
- Once the kale has cooked down (it will start as a MOUNTAIN), add in the salt, pepper, and crushed red peppers. If you don’t want the heat, feel free to leave the red pepper out.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, and then turn down the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the beans have softened.
- Once everything is ready, you can either dump the pasta into the sauce and mix it all together, or serve the pasta and top with the sauce. Whatever you want! If you’re not dairy-free, a sprinkle of parmesan is a great way to top this dish.
Notes from my family:
Everyone agreed that the dish had great flavor, and the ¼ tsp red pepper flakes was enough to taste a little heat but definitely not overpowering. They also said it seemed simple enough to throw together on a busy night, or when you just didn’t feel like cooking much. Mom suggested adding a salad or some fruit to finish off the meal. If you need more than 4 servings, this recipe is easily doubled.