A quick, easy, satisfying, and even nourishing treat, where each ingredient brings different nutrients to the table.
Health benefits of Medjool Dates
Medjool dates are low-glycemic and sweetly packed with fiber, B vitamins, magnesium, and other micronutrients. Nut and seed butters contain protein. Chocolate is delicious–using a high cacao percentage will ensure more nutritional content than a lower cacao percentage. Nutrients in cacao include magnesium, zinc, and iron, which support healthy brains and bones. Coconut oil is a nutritious oil choice, thanks to the medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) that help provide energy and reduce hunger. Coconut oil also plays a practical role in helping the melted chocolate solidify when chilled.
Medjool Date Sweet Treat
- 2-3 Medjool dates
- 1-2 Tbsp Peanut almond, or seed butter
- 2-3 Tbsp Chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- Flaky sea salt optional
- Split the dates open with a knife or your thumbs–being careful not to separate the two halves, but just open the date like a hotdog bun–and remove the pits.
- In place of the pit, use a spoon to drop some nut or seed butter in the center of the date. Gently squeeze the date most of the way closed.
- Place a small handful of chocolate chips and a small spoonful of coconut oil into a microwave safe bowl and warm in 10-15 second intervals, stirring between each warming, until melted.
- Dip the filled dates into the melted chocolate or drizzle the chocolate over the top. Sprinkle the tops with flaky sea salt. (If you’d rather not melt the chocolate, simply place chocolate chips on top of the nut or seed butter in the center of the date then sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.)