Having allergies can make it difficult to find new, fun, and safe meals. And, accommodating multiple allergens can be tiresome, not to mention extremely expensive.
As someone who has an allergy to dairy, I know how frustrating or stressful it can be to find meals that are tasty, healthy, and won’t break the budget. But, finding meals that can work for anyone dealing with any or all of the top nine allergens was more challenging than I had expected. Compiling this diet plan for just one day changes the way that I think about my meals, my day, and even my social life. I didn’t realize how much simpler it was for me to accommodate my one allergy than if I had all nine top food allergies. Each allergen added to the diet not only increased stress, it added more dollars to the price.
Trying to keep a diverse palate for your tastebuds, fulfilling nutritional requirements, and abiding by your allergens is not a simple task. Hopefully, with these fun ideas, you can enjoy something new!
Free-From the following allergens:
Peanuts, tree nuts, egg, dairy, sesame, soy, shellfish, fish, wheat
- 1/2 cup Dairy-free yogurt
- 1/2 Banana frozen
- 2 Tbsp SunButter
- 2 Tbsp Gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp Cacao powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Plant-based milk
- Add all ingredients into a blender. Blend on high until desired texture.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Chickpea “Tuna” Sandwich
- 1 can Chickpeas mashed
- 1/3 cup Red onion diced
- 1/3 cup Celery diced
- 2 Tbsp Dill chopped
- 2 Tbsp Parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp Dill pickles diced
- 1/4 tsp Chili powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Gluten-free bread of choice
- Sprouts or microgreens
- Strain, rinse, and dry the chickpeas.
- In a bowl, mash the chickpeas until desired texture. Add red onion, celery, dill, parsley, pickles, chili powder, lemon, and salt & pepper.
- Add any sauce of choice (I recommend lemon vinaigrette) and let marinate in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Serve on gluten-free bread with sprouts, lettuce, and tomato.
Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1 Onion diced
- 2-3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 11 oz Mushrooms sliced
- 4 Tbsp White wine optional
- 3/4 cup Vegetable broth (or water)
- 3/4 cup Plant-based milk of choice
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast optional
- Gluten-free pasta of choice
- Fresh thyme and/or parsley chopped
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- pinch Chili flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook and drain gluten-free pasta.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and fry for 5 minutes or until golden. Add garlic and fry for another minute. Add the mushrooms and fry over medium heat for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in white wine (optional), vegetable broth, and spice mixture. Bring to a boil.
- In a bowl, add cornstarch to plant-based milk, stir to dissolve.
- Pour the milk mixture into the pan and cook on low/medium heat for 10 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Add fresh thyme and/or parsley. Pour over gluten-free pasta and enjoy!
- 16 oz Bag of frozen fruit of choice
- 2 Tbsp Maple syrup
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1/4 cup Water
- Fill blender 3/4 of the way full with frozen fruit. Add maple syrup, lemon or lime juice, and water. Blend until ingredients create desired sorbet texture and thickness.
- Pour into small mouthwash-sized cups. You can also use an ice cube tray. Insert a popsicle stick if desired.
- Freeze for 1-2 hours. Enjoy!