Customizable Sweet Potato and Eggplant Curry
For this recipe, feel free to swap the sweet potato and/or eggplant for other vegetables, and add spinach in at the end if you want more greens!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 large Yellow Onion
- 1 medium Eggplant
- 1-2 medium Sweet Potatoes
- 2-4 cloves Garlic
- Oil (of your choosing)
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Red Lentils
- 1 cup Chickpeas
- 1 Hot Pepper (jalapeno, serrano, red chili pepper)
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- Cayenne Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Garam Masala
- Lime Juice
- Cut onion into strips and sauté in saucepan with a tablespoon of oil until just translucent.
- While the onion is heating, slice eggplant and dehydrate by adding salt and covering with a paper towel. (You can skip the dehydration if you are short on time.)
- Add garlic to the saucepan to sauté with the onion.
- Slice sweet potatoes. When onions and garlic are just translucent, add eggplant, yams, and 4 cups of water.
- OPTIONAL: add tomatoes, red lentils/chickpeas, and hot pepper.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add seasonings to taste -- swap as needed for spice tolerance/allergies.
- Boil and then reduce heat for simmer for about 20 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: add coconut milk and stir
- Continue simmer for another 10-15 minutes, until sweet potatoes reach desired softness.
- Serve alone, or over the grain of your choice (rice or millet are my favorites) or mashed potatoes.