Curious about carob?
Carob comes from the pod of a carob tree, a small Mediterranean shrub. The pods are dried, roasted, and ground into carob powder before being made into chips or used in other applications. Traditionally, it was used to soothe an upset stomach.
Carob chips have a roasted flavor that makes them similar to chocolate, but lack chocolate’s richness and melty texture. Carob is less bitter than chocolate and has a natural sweetness.
Additionally, Carob chips are low in fat, high in fiber, and contain no caffeine. Both carob chips and carob powder can be substituted one-for-one with chocolate chips/cocoa powder in any recipe. Carob is also useful when making vegan and caffeine-free treats.
Carob Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup Plant-Based Butter
- 1/3 cup White Sugar
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 cup Gluten-Free Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Vegan chocolate chips (carob chips)
- 1/2 cup Marshmallows (vegan or regular)
- 1/2 cup Pretzels (gluten-free if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer with a large bowl), cream softened butter, white sugar, and packed brown sugar for 3-4 minutes on medium speed, or until soft, smooth, creamy, and evenly incorporated.
- Add applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixer back on to medium speed and cream together another minute.
- Gently stir dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda) into wet ingredients. Followed by slowly mixing on low speed until just combined. (I added this step because it's the only way I know how to stop the flour from going everywhere!)
- Stir in carob chips, marshmallows, and pretzels. Using a small or large ice cream scoop (or tablespoon), scoop cookie dough onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Don't overcrowd the cookie sheet, as cookies will spread. Place cookies a couple inches apart.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until the desired crispness. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.